Why we do it.


Just 3% of the population of Uganda has access to electricity.

Uganda has no oil or coal but what it does have is an abundance of sun.

Kerosene, biomass and wood from trees accounts for over 90% of Uganda’s total energy consumption. The environmental and health concerns from such sources can have devastating effects. Kerosene causes headaches, drowsiness, eye problems, produces nitrogen dioxide that can lead to respiratory infections. By replacing kerosene lanterns with solar powered light, the quality of life is enhanced and the carbon dioxide emissions are reduced. These noxious fumes when inhaled is equivalent to smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day per person.

Biomass is plant matter such a trees, grasses, crop residue and animal dung. It pollutes the air making breathing difficult, produces carbon monoxide that brings about lung cancer. The carbon monoxide produced from biomass reacts with ozone gas which weakens ozone layers allowing ultra violet rays, which effect the skin which can cause skin cancer. Smoke is also dangerous to people’s eyes, turning them reddish.

Acute respiratory infections caused by inhaling fumes from kerosene or biomass are the most prevalent cause of death in children under 5 yr. of age in developing countries.

Uganda’s environment is being eroded. 90% of Uganda’s population cut down tress for firewood. This deforestation leads to a rise in temperatures that are favorable for mosquito breeding and these mosquitoes cause malaria.

By providing schools with solar generated power, students have the opportunity to learn in a healthy, safe environment.